Monday, January 27, 2014

The Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee

This is my new favorite Bible story. I've read it many times and even while calling on Jesus to be my savior, I still floated on thinking "I'm so glad I'm not like the Pharisee" How foolish. 
One day, God set this story in front of me and it was like a beam straight out of Heaven finally shedding light on my sin. How could I not see that I was still the pharisee? While I was secretly "judging judges", I was stumbling through life with a "plank in my eye".(Matthew 7:3)
“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
How do you remove the eye plank obstacle? I don't think you can. I think God must do it for you. When somehow, the Holy Spirit grabs you and illuminates the depths of your soul, and you become like the tax collector and you can't even lift your eyes to Heaven, that's when you will really feel the weight of grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment