Thursday, April 14, 2011

Faith in God doesn't mean hoping He will answer your specific prayer. It means giving all your fear and worry to Him and knowing that His will is certain

Recently, during a much needed "mommy nap", in which I often use the quiet time to pray and meditate on God's will and word, I suddenly shot awake with a revelation!  It was apparent to me that it was something that the Lord had laid on my heart for some time.  It may sound obvious to some:  "Faith in God doesn't mean hoping he will answer your specific prayer.  It means giving all your fear and worry to him and knowing that His will is certain.
Like I said, this may be quite obvious to some, and for those I congratulate you and pray that you are sharing this with your brothers and sisters.  But for me, I think it was something the Lord had been telling me for some time and I finally  listened. God hears all of our prayers.  "Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to him." Psalm 4:3  Although it is difficult, we must understand that our human wants are not always in accordance with His will.  "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."  1 John 5:14-15
It is impossible for us to truly comprehend why and how our Heavenly Father does what He does but I believe He truly delights in us giving up all control and putting our trust fully in Him.  He knows everything there is to know about us ("If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything" 1 John 3:20), He loves us more than ANYTHING- after all, he gave up His Son for us! ("For God so loved the world he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16), and he absolutely knows what is best for us and our lives( "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5)
I finally get it!  God wants us to let him be in control.  I truly believe that when Jesus told the Pharisee in Matthew 22:37 that the greatest commandment was to "‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ this is what He was talking about.  How can we love God with everything we have if we aren't trusting Him that what He is doing in our lives is what is supposed to be happening?
I am not a preacher and I'm not ever going to tell someone else what they should be doing.  I want to just encourage my brothers and sisters to read the Word.  It is our instruction manual.  It tells us everything we need to know.  PERIOD.  I would, however, like to share with you how this "revelation" has changed my prayer life.  My whole life I have always prayed for this and for that.  "Lord please do this... Lord please do that"  I'm not telling anyone that's not okay or that God doesn't listen to those prayers, because I know for a fact he does.  But, I started praying more like "Lord please move in my life and show me your Will.  Take away my self indulgence and help me to accept what you want for me.  Let me trust in you completely and wrap me in your arms and carry me through."  AND HE DID.  He does.  Every time.
So, I'm not going to tell you to pray this way.  I just want to ask you to try it.  Try it and earnestly seek out God's will and see how He moves in your life.
Jesus told us it was the most important thing - to love the Lord with EVERYTHING.  I really do think this is the big part that most of us are missing.  Personally, I think God has been telling me this for a long time, and I can't tell you how much of a difference it has made since I listened.

2 comments:

  1. The beautiful thing is that whatever I have or have not done in my past, I am forgiven. It may have been hard for me to even forgive myself, but God doesn't hold grudges. He loves those saints that came before me just as much as He loves an ex convict who has repented and let Jesus wash him clean. Thank you Lord, for being able to forgive even what I could not for years. Please continue to lead me in the new life that you have given me. I will be grateful forever. Though few others may read my posts, I will continue to be an obedient servant to my Lord and savior. Lord, please help me to release the hurt in my heart and replace it with your love. I am completely powerless without your Spirit within me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and to the one person who I know is reading this, whoever you are, I'm sorry. I must have hurt you in the past for you to be this angry with me. Whatever it was I truly am sorry. I wish you could know who I am now.

    ReplyDelete